5 Festive Exercises before Cinco de Mayo Celebrations
It’s time to get spicy-hot this Cinco de Mayo as we celebrate strength from within. Persevere through these Cinco de Mayo exercises, so you can enjoy the rest of the day’s fiestas without any guilt from all the good food and cervezas.
5 Cinco de Mayo Pre-Party Workout Ideas
In honor of May 5 (5/5), all exercises should be done in sets of 5 with 5 reps each!
Muscles Worked: Quads &Calves.
Recommended Equipment: 1" Exercise Mat or Flooring to protect your knees
- Stand with your feet hip width apart and lean back into a squat.
- Jump up from your squat in an explosive jump getting both feet off the ground.
- Land lightly and immediately sink into your next squat.
Muscles Worked: Hip Flexors & Abs
Recommended Equipment: Extra Thick Yoga & Pilates Mat for cushioned support
- Lie on your back with your arms and legs extended.
- Lift your arms and legs an inch or two off the floor.
- Bend your knees to your chest while lifting your upper body up off the floor bringing your arms to reach for your calves.
- Release back to the floor.
Jalapeno Pepper Pops
Muscles Worked: Calves, Quads, Glutes, & Upper back.
Recommended Equipment: 3/4" Exercise Mat or Flooring to reduce joint impact
- Stand with your feet together and arms at your side
- Jump with your feet out to the sides and raise your arms above your head
- Reverse the motion back to the starting position.
Rumba Shaker Chop
Muscles Worked: Inner thighs, Quads, Hamstrings, glutes & core (if you engage your core with this exercise).
Recommended Equipment: Neoprene Dumbbells
- Start in a lunge position with your right foot forward and your left leg extended behind.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Jump to switch legs while lifting your arms straight up above your head, land on your left foot forward in a lunge.
- Jump to switch legs again while lowering your arms back to starting position, land on your right foot forward in a lunge.
- Continue to alternate.
- When you've completed a set, shimmy into a squat with dumbbells held in front of you like maracas and shake them for 10 seconds.
Hot Tamale (For some pre-party fun!)
Muscles Worked: Triceps, Abs, Shoulders, Calves, Back, Glutes & Quads.
Recommended Equipment: Weighted Medicine Ball
- Everybody you are working out with gather in a circle.
- Place a medicine ball or tread slam ball (for extra grip) in the middle of the circle.
- Each person takes a turn running to the middle to do a medicine ball slam and then run back to their place.
- Turn on music. Pause randomly and whoever has the ball when the music stops is out. That person then has to do 5 jumping jacks.
- Play for 5 rounds.
After you have worked up a sweat with this Cinco de Mayo workout, go enjoy the rest of your day’s celebration!
What do you think?