November 21, 2017
Low-Calorie, Creamy Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"
It doesn't quite feel like a true holiday meal without creamy mashed potatoes to go with your turkey and cranberry sauce. Unfortunately, most mashed potatoes usually become caloric disasters, laden with butter and heavy cream.
Enjoy a much healthier and lower-calorie version of mashed potatoes while reaping the benefits of vitamins and fiber from cauliflower with these creamy faux mashed potatoes. Feel free to reduce the amount of cheese in order to make them even healthier. You can also substitute vegan cream cheese and remove the yogurt for a dairy-free version.
Don't just save them for the holidays, either. Mashed cauliflower "potatoes" are great any time of year!
1. Microwave or cook the cauliflower according to the directions on the package. You can also buy one head of cauliflower and boil it under tender, then chop into small chunks.
2. Once cauliflower has cooled slightly, drain any excess water, then put all ingredients - except almond milk - into a food processor.
3. Blend until smooth, slowly adding almond milk as needed to get the desired consistency. The milk may be unnecessary depending on how much water was retained in the cauliflower.
4. Open the food processor and scrape down the sides, then blend again to get it perfectly smooth. You can also add more cream cheese, yogurt, or Parmesan to suit your tastes. You may also want to add other herbs such as parsley or rosemary.
5. Top with chopped chives and serve!
Serves 2-4 people
© 2017 ProSource.
All Rights Reserved